Sunday, October 26, 2014

DIY Ballet Barre, Beginning progress photos (demi-pointe, turnout, doming)

Just wanted to post a few photos I've been meaning to. First of all, my barre setup (the mirror is low enough that I can see my feet while at the barre, of course, and it is tall enough that I can see my arms raised to my wrists, but I can't see my hands unless I move away from the barre. I'm 5'3" and this mirror is 48"x30" and sits 17" above the floor. The barre is about 12" from the wall.):


Was really simple to do, and cost under $20 (for the barre). (Be sure to get anchor screws if you're not screwing into studs! Preferably the heavy duty ones.) The brackets were around $4 each and the dowel rod was cut to the right size for my space (3"). It was $8- I went for the more expensive one because it was smoother. There's a screw underneath the dowel so it doesn't move too much. I happened to have a mirror the perfect size for my space but used one of the cheap door mirrors before I got that one up. (You could take two of those mirrors- I think it'd fit- and take the frame off, then hang the mirrors up side by side. In the middle, when aligning the clear plastic mirror things, line up the left one so it's flush with the right one right above it so you can get the mirrors as close together as possible, with a minimal gap.)

|_
 _|

instead of:

|_|_|

(so you have one plastic hanger apart instead of two.)

And I started taking progress photos last week. These were taken on the 20th. I will put the ones up that I took today- I can already see progress! Here's my demi-pointe on October 20th:

Here's my turnout on October 20th:

And here's my "doming" (yes, I know my toes are curled here. They were much less curled in today's pictures- a work in progress):




No comments:

Post a Comment