Saturday, November 8, 2014

Today's ballet...

I found myself cutting things a little short last night. I expect perfection from myself, and the ability to do things days after learning, and that lack of patience is just not going to cut it. As an example, yesterday evening, I was working on doing some things on demi-pointe. Really basic stuff- tendus, plies, frappes. And it's HARD to balance on demi. I was at my barre, and I was getting frustrated at my lack of ability to let go without falling sideways.

I've also been working on Finis Jhung's first beginner DVD, and (too cool! I am sitting outside on my laptop, it's fall, and there's a huge flock of sparrows, the seem to be. They all got in two of the trees, and suddenly, they all TOOK OFF in two separate groups, one one way and the other the other, meeting up on another tree. The WHOOSH of their wings was absolutely incredible. My dog, an 8-month-old pit bull pup, is in awe!) he gets to doing some pretty complicated (for a beginner) moves. While doing the moves, he asks us to see if we can lift up just a bit on our heels- while already standing on one foot, and moving the other leg around. It's very difficult, though it LOOKS quite simple, and as I said, I expect way too much from myself and got frustrated when I wasn't able to do what he was asking.

I DID manage to do pretty well on the eight lesson on the DVD, which was the first time I really felt like I was "doing ballet". That one is complicated, too, and I only got it really well once, so I plan to go back soon and work on that until I really have it down.

I always start with Ballet Barre Workout by Lisa Maree on YouTube. As of right now, today's workout, I am on a quick break from Beginner Ballet Year One Lesson 3 (Center) with Tamra Chase. I like the center work because it is still difficult but not impossible for me to do. Even some of her barre work I still do not have the strength to do. But I'm really working on my form today and some of the lesson I skipped over before I am now working on really getting down (like the epaulments and port de bra en face and en croix).

This is supposed to be fun for me, and I need to get over the fact that it can be monotonous. This has always been my problem before: I learn some to be able to say I've done it, but when it comes to perfecting, refining the technique, I get bored and move onto something else. (This is a theme in my life.) But I still REALLY want to get more flexible and graceful, I really want to eventually get on pointe (yes, I know there are no promises and maybe I shouldn't make that a goal- especially considering I've never even had an actual live class, but it is), I really want to be able to hold beautiful poses, and I'd really love to perform even something small one day. I've always lacked self-discipline in my life, and through ballet, I hope to gain that.

No comments:

Post a Comment