Thursday, November 6, 2014

Hip Rotators, Stretching, Motivation

I spent about an hour last night stretching- focusing primarily on my left leg. My left leg is definitely the weakest, least flexible, and is the leg with external tibial torsion.

I came across some myofascial massage videos, and I tried to go along with one of them. It seemed to be a good video... for someone with a lot more anatomy knowledge than me. And more strength to try and press into the right spot and hold that strength there (wherever it was!). So I went to another video, and tried using a tennis ball and one of those firmer bouncy balls- the larger of the ones that you used to be able to get out of candy machines... I'm really looking for this kind, as it seems more the strength and size I need in general, but I'm not finding one in Walmart or corner pharmacies:


Anyway, so the ball idea wasn't working on my hip flexors. When I pressed inside my upper thigh, all I got was tendons (it felt like, anyway). I even tried rolling up my yoga mat very tight to use like a foam roller, but it would get smooshed and not roll. (I'm really going to need to make some Amazon purchases soon!)

So finally I just decided to do some of the stretching I've done before, but more intensely.
I've also been reading about how one of my anatomy issues may have to do with tight hamstrings. Last night, I worked on accessing both of those together. At first, I did the exercise where you are lying on the bed, holding the more flexible leg bent at the knee and all the way up to the chest, holding with an arm, and then the left leg (for me) falls off the bed, so that gravity is working on pulling that hip flexor more open.

After that, I did lunge work. I've been doing this thing where I do a deep lunge, but I work on the hip rotators (on the leg with the knee UP). Basically, I get into a deep lunge, and slowly turn/rotate/push/pull/etc (wherever- knee, torso, whatever it takes) until I am accessing the hip rotator. Once I have that spot engaged, I move around more, slowly, really WORKING on that stretch. For me, it HAS to be done in a sort of meditative state- if I try watching videos or something, I'm not as focused and I can lose that spot, or worse push too hard and hurt myself.

Last night, I eventually found myself in that lunge position, but with my left knee in the air, my torso rotated away to the right, and my left shoulder all the way under my left leg so I could use my shoulders to press my leg back and away from my hips.

It's not really something I can explain precisely how someone else should do it, because the tight spots on me are not necessarily going to be the same for anyone else. And besides that, what feels good one night may not feel so great the next, even on my own body. (I'd like to add that it can be really easy to overdo stretching when you're doing it this way, just feeling with your body. This is another reason I have to focus only on what I'm doing. I really have to pay attention to my body's signals.) But last night, while I was doing that deep lunge, really focusing on what was being stretched, I felt something inside "give" a little. Something inside opened up a little more, and I was then able to go even deeper. It felt really good. (I actually heard it a little when it happened.) I don't think it was a "pop" like popping knuckles, because this morning when I woke up, it still felt a lot lighter and more "open", even more so than my right hip (which is still, by far, the more flexible).I just felt something tight give way and loosen up, I think.

So that's exciting for me. I realized I can actually turn out to nearly 90 degrees on my right. It is just the left side that is so problematic, and it's very noticeable. In pliƩs, my right knee goes directly over the right foot, even close to 90 degrees. (Holding 90 degrees is too much for me right now, but still doable, and I know I will be able to hold that hopefully soon.) My left side can turn out some, but 1) the hip flexor isn't as flexible/strong, 2) my left knee points inwards, and 3) it ends up with my leg being fairly turned out- hips (not as well as right side) and feet (better than right side)- but not appearing that way due to my inward-facing left tibia. I'm not sure if I will ever look as though I have perfect turnout, but I do honestly believe that with a lot of stretching and strength work, I will be able to improve even the left side. (I'm thinking being able to eventually have my feet turned all the way out, with my hips a lot more so as well, but the left knee may never go totally over the foot. I'm not recommending this to anyone, and it may be harmful to me so I can only see what happens as I progress.)

I realized yesterday that I was really getting caught up in the technique and perfection thing, and that I was sapping a little of the "fun" out of what I'm doing. Not only does that kinda defeat the purpose, but if it's not fun, it's really not something I'm going to stick with. I've come SO far in only five weeks- I'm stronger than I've ever been- and I want to KEEP finding enjoyment. The DVD and video work was just getting a little tedious. So I put on a ballet on youtube, got inspired by that and just danced around my living room, pretending I was an amazing ballerina. (I even did some [horrendous-looking] turns and jumps, haha!)

And then I put on my beautiful pointe shoes, noting that even that is looking a lot better. I can see now where the shank is so much stronger than my foot is (and I don't think it's even a strong shank- Capezio Contemporas), yet I'm starting to be able to bend it into an arch, ever so slightly (thanks to the work I've been doing with my feet). I'm also able to stand straighter in them. I'm definitely not over the box, but I am closer to that than I was a couple of weeks ago when I tried them on. Holding onto something sturdy, I pushed up, bent my knees a little, and got the whole box on the floor, so I was able to see kinda what that felt like. If the foot isn't arched enough, the whole box won't be on the floor, and so it was neat to see and feel that. (Don't worry, I didn't keep them on long. I'm only doing it for inspiration.) Oh, I also noticed that my toes are getting stronger, and I was able to keep them straighter inside the box. Before, I could only scrunch them up inside. Some is strength, and some is muscle coordination- I'm still working on keeping my toe muscles isolated enough to make sure my toes are straight when I point my feet.

After my amazing solo that no one but my pets got to see, I went on to do those stretching exercises I mentioned above. I've been working on the technicalities, and had forgotten that I need to also be getting in touch with my body. Doing that last night really lifted my spirits some.

In other news, I friended the lady whose parents own the dance studio. I'm really nervous, but I know I need to get into real classes very soon. I'm getting stronger, able to focus more on technique now rather than only whether or not I have the strength to do things. My balance is getting better as well, and I feel more comfortable doing things like rond de jambes away from the barre. Now to overcome my anxiety of doing something totally new (and exercise at that!) in a group of people that I don't know. My anxiety has caused me to dread even fun things in the past, instead of wanting to go. I don't want to dread ballet class- I want to go and enjoy it. So I will be working on that this week and next. I told myself six weeks to build up strength, and I'm closing in on that. I see my psychologist today, so I will bring this up with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment