Sunday, November 9, 2014

Pointing the feet

The bones of the foot:


I'm having trouble figuring out if there is a proper way to point the feet, in regards to something in particular: at what point do the toes need to be pointing? I've noticed some dancers point their toes starting where the metatarsals end and the phalanges begin:


Yet others seem to point their toes up away from the metatarsals more (this is more like how my point looks, though not as arched yet):

I'd never even tried to point at the metatarsals until seeing a video of someone doing so... and there is NO way that is happening. My big toes can bend at that spot ever so slightly, but my other toes don't budge until the joint between the first and middle phalange (toe). From the metatarsal to that first joint stays absolutely flat. I thought there was something wrong with the girl's foot when I saw them bending there at the metatarsals, lol, but now I'm wondering (and worrying) if that is the correct way to point the feet, or if it matters. (One of these days I'm going to get around to creating a non-Yahoo/non-Gmail email account so I can join the dance forums I've found so I can ask questions like this!)

I sent a message to the lady I know whose parents own the ballet studio, asking her a bunch of questions about the adult class (along with whether or not I can take other classes besides the one and only adult one they offer if I decide I want to progress). It's on Tuesdays from 7:30-8:30. I'm getting up the nerve to start next week!!

Edit: Considering this photo, and some other ones I've looked at:


I'm starting to believe either way is fine. (Although I sure do love the look of being able to bend at the metatarsals!)(And she does bend the other way some, but not totally like the photo above.)

UPDATE 11/10: I just found this on a dancer's forum:
If you count back from the tip of the toes, the joint you want to bend is the third one back. It is analagous to the knuckle bones of your hand. If you hold your hand straight, then bend the wrist and the fingers while keeping the knuckles flat, that is what I do with my foot. Now bend the wrist (ankle) and the knuckles (metatarsal joint) but keep the fingers straight (toes)-- That is what I should be doing with my foot.
I bend at the wrist, pull up on my arch, and try to keep my toes pretty straight. But I have a LONG way to go if I'm supposed to bend at the "knuckles" of my feet. On all but the big toe, and the slightest bit on the small toe, my joints simply don't bend at that first joint. They're basically flat, and stay in that position. I'm getting better about not bending my toes, and keeping those extended, buuuuuuttt.... Hmm.

Another update: The joint I have been trying to find the name for is the metatarsophalangeal joint, or MTPJ. This article says that joint needs 90-100 degrees of dorsiflexion (up, but not plantarflexion (down). Which is great, because I certainly have more of the former than the latter!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment