Thursday, November 13, 2014

Hyperlordosis/Swayback

Here is a great thread on lordosis/swayback. One user posts a link to this photo, which simply explains what's going on with a swayback:

I am convinced that the swayback is affecting the tibial torsion I'm experiencing, which is totally screwing up the turnout on my left leg. Basically, my ab muscles are weak (which allows my pelvis to drop down/back), my lower back muscles are tight (very true, one of my favorite places to have deep massage) which pulls my pelvis up in the rear.

My glutes are weak (I'm working on this one, but I definitely have something going on there- placed a tennis ball in the middle and sat with my other leg crossed over my upright knee- ow! but in a good way), and have been for awhile- any weight I've gained in the past ten years has usually gone towards that. I like to think I've had a cute butt, but it was more from the swayback than the muscle. (There wasn't hardly any muscle!)

And all of that affects my hip rotators, the other spot marked as "weak" up there. And of course that certainly affects turnout!

Here's another article suggesting that the way one sleeps can cause/increase swayback- specifically, by lying on one's stomach. And guess how I prefer to sleep? The article also points out that "From the side, we could simply say the body’s center of mass is being pushed forward. With that, it’s very common for the feet to be turned out and or the knees to be turned in. (This isn’t so much part of being a “swayback” as it is common postural / movement issues.)... A less obvious connection is at the feet. When sleeping on the stomach it’s very likely the feet are going to turn out."

All very true! I'm almost positive I prefer to sleep on my stomach, more specifically on my stomach with my left side jacked up some on a pillow being used body-pillow-style. Sleeping like that would be more likely to have my knee pointing downwards from gravity, with my ankle and foot pointed to the outside. And I'm pretty sure I also sleep on my stomach the regular way, which has me doing the above. I really liked that article- throughout it I was like "yes, that's me, yes, yes!"

I'm working on my posture today, and attempted to be careful how I slept last night. (I do remember waking up and saying to myself I'm too tired to get it right and went right back to sleep in my "comfy" position. Which is fine- I'm just now starting this.) I read another article (this one from the Gokhale Method website- I've come across this one a bit lately) saying basically to envision the ribcage like an egg (with swayback, the ribs/bottom of the egg points outward/front, and the top tilts back towards the back) put your fingers on your lower ribcage and focus on pulling the lower part towards the abs (instead of tilting the pelvis itself). That's what I'm trying. It hurts already.

I'm kinda concerned about this posture thing. For one, like I said, it hurts. Yes, it's supposed to but I really don't want to go through this pain only to not be doing it correctly and having to relearn it again. I'm considering a physical therapist or pilates or something...

No comments:

Post a Comment