Saturday, December 27, 2014

MDM Ballet Shoes!

OMG, I just ran to the mailbox to check the mail because I'd seen that my shoes were being delivered today. And yes! There they were. I rushed back home and, of course, put them on right away. (After skimming the bright red STOP instructions telling me to not make so much as an indentation in the shoes in case I needed to return them.) They fit!

MDM Elemental Leather Split Sole Ballet Shoes. Mine have the logo and sole writing in pink. 

The insole to the MDM shoes. They provide resistance to help build strength, shock absorption for jumps, and can help the wearer sense pronation.

I went with the MDM Elemental Leather Split Soles. The "Intrinsic" line is canvas, and they have a "Reflex" version of each. The Reflex shoes are designed more for a lot of demi-pointe work, because they have a little piece in them that expands and contracts when the foot goes back and forth to demi. Since I'm nowhere near a lot of demi, I went for the leather. Here was my initial impressions of the MDM Elemental Split Sole Leather Ballet Shoes:

  1. Look! There's the hot pink insole!
  2. This shoe feels like it should go on the other foot. (I don't think they are made like that, but switching felt better for some reason- I've been like this with all of my shoes, so I think it's a mental thing!) I switched and it was fine.
  3. Cool! My first pair of split soles!
  4. The leather is SO SOFT!
  5. The toes fit... almost perfectly (at first). I have a much longer second toe than "big" toe, and my third one is long, too, so shoes that come right against my toes tend to make a bump or two where those long toes are having to bend at the top until the shoes get stretched out. 
  6. The leather is SO SOFT that #3 isn't going to be an issue; I can tell this right away. The other instruction sheet that came with them also says that they mold very easily, and I've read another review stating that their shoes were molding in the first class.
  7. There is no extra baggage anywhere around the shoes. When I point my foot, it's a very nice, clean line, so unlike the full soles I've been wearing.
  8. The heel doesn't dig into my foot like my other shoes. (I can feel the edges of the suede.)
  9. My pointed foot looks great! 
  10. Cool, they even come with a little satin bag to carry them in!
Then I tried on one of the new ones and one of my first pair of leather ballet shoes. Immediately, I noticed that my old ones, full-soles, provided pretty much no resistance to the pointing/arching of my feet, while the MDM shoes definitely provide resistance. It was like being barefoot with my old shoe. And, yes, when I pointed the foot with the old shoe, the arch was not a clean line at all. It bunched up in the front, wrinkling some here and there. With the MDM, it showed my arch beautifully.

Note: Before ordering, I took the fit quiz to show which sizes would be best for my feet. It worked well. The ones I ordered are my shoe size (7.5) with a medium width, but the Intrinsic (canvas) line would have been half a size down and narrow (7N) while the Elemental Reflex would have been a whole size down and wide. (6.5W) So yeah, take the quiz!

I'm definitely keeping these. I'm wondering if my teacher will say anything about wearing split soles as a beginner, because if so, I'll be like "No! Check it!" and show her the awesomeness of advancements in ballet shoes.

I'm so excited. I am going to save these for class, or at least try to! I do my ballet work at home on carpet, which wears down the suede soles of my shoes. My first leather ones are very worn and the suede is pretty much slippery- but that's helpful to me on carpet because I can slide my feet without them catching so much on the carpet. (I haven't gotten into turns much, so that doesn't really matter.) I'd love to have a spare pair for home, though! When those wear out, I'll definitely use them at home, too!

I will have photos soon! I've also gotten several new leotards and such that I want to show you. (Including a chiffon ballet skirt I picked up for $7... at Walmart! It's the 14/16 kids size, and it fits me. [I wear a 1 or 3 in jeans]).

A week and a half til real pre-professional ballet classes! Woot!!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to know what you think of the shoes. They sound great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better late than never! I ended up taking a break from ballet for medical reasons, and happened to come across my own blog searching for MDM shoes. I'm finally getting back to ballet!

      These shoes are great! I took my first class in months yesterday, though I've been practicing at home in my regular full-sole slippers. During class I used the MDM shoes and decided to use them at home, too. I really do feel they add resistance to the pointed foot, and thus help work those foot muscles more.

      Unfortunately, I looked them up again, and no longer see them online! Nor do I see any US retailers, though if you live outside of the US, you may have better luck. (I'd contact MDM, though.)

      Delete