Saturday, December 6, 2014

It's a Yoga Day

I woke up today not really feeling the ballet vibe. It's Saturday, one of my two days off, and I really like to squeeze in as much ballet on the weekends as I can. So when I realized that vibe was going on, I was kinda disappointed but got through some chores and got on my leotard and got going. Made it through the warmup, but what next?

Nothing was sounding appealing. One of Kathryn Morgan skips the intros to the barre movements and just goes through the exercises- and there's music that's kinda nice. I put that on and started doing my own routine- plies, tendus, ronde de jambes. But by the time I got to the latter, I knew ballet just wasn't happening. But I'm still all dressed and want to do SOMETHING...

I found this, and it's great. In only a small number of poses, my back popped so many times (I love that feeling!) and I got SUCH a good stretch! I love it, and it's going on my flexibility playlist (along with the splits routines by the same group, PsycheTruth. I'm finding their videos are to my liking: no long intro, tough enough but not too difficult, and fairly brief, but not too brief.)


This one is another good one for the neck, shoulders, and upper back (the last exercise is the same as one in the video above).

I've really been slacking some lately on stretching. When I first started, I was doing it nightly, but I really haven't done it much at all in a few weeks. When I did, I was pretty much focusing solely on my lower body, since flexibility is great for extensions and such (and I will do splits one day!). But since starting the Conditioning for Dance book, I've been realizing how intertwined everything is- like the simple jump exercise I mentioned. So while getting more strength and flexibility is definitely going to help my cambre (ah, if cambre was done from the lower back, I'd be a pro at it), it's also going to help pretty much everything else in my body, including my leg extensions.

It's really neat not only learning how fascinating the body is, but to actually be able to experience it- the inter-connectivity- as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment