Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Foot Arch/Doming Improvement

In less than a month's time, I've made a noticeable improvement in my foot's arch strength, and thus the pointing of my feet. Here is a side-by-side comparison:

Side-by-side comparison of doming of my right foot.


(I don't think the fact that I was in a different position matters much?) On the right, I was definitely forcing my foot to dome- you can see a lot of tension in my foot, trying to hold the height of the arch. The lower arrow points to where my big toe was curling more to make it look better, and you can see the tension in my big toe as well.

In the left picture, taken only 27 days later, I can really tell a pretty big improvement (especially since I could not even access those muscles willingly when I first started ballet about 2 months ago!). First of all, the arch! It's higher, yes, but it's also turning into something of a slight angle at the arch, a little more of a triangle at the highest point of the arch instead of a half-sphere. I think that's really cool.

There's also SO much less tension in my foot, even though I was definitely pushing the muscles hard. The big toe isn't wrinkled up like the right photo- it's learning to elongate to point instead of curling. (That second toe is getting better at not curling as well- that toe's more difficult!)

At the top arrow on the right, the point(e?) of my foot looks less smooth. Again, on the left, it's elongating into a more aesthetic (and stronger!) point(e?)! (Did I mention I try to do doming exercises as much as I can at work? I've been really busy this week- it does take a little focus- but I was able to get back to it some today!)

No comments:

Post a Comment