Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Ballet as a Coping Mechanism

I mentioned before that I've suffered from depression and other mental health issues in the past. I recently brought up ballet to my therapist, and he said that ballet should be a good coping mechanism for me, in tough times when I need something.

I had a fairly rough day emotionally, the other day. My emotions were all wound up. With nothing else to do, I turned to ballet. Well, it was mostly working out ballet-style, but whatever the case, I threw my heart and soul into it. My thoughts and feelings didn't go away- they were still there, but it was like I was able to feel the feelings I didn't want to feel and think the thoughts I didn't want to think by pushing all of the hurt into exercise, all of that negative energy detoured towards something more positive than wallowing in it all. I'm very grateful to have this new thing in my life, and the reasons are multiplying.

I have my third class later today, and I am very anxious for it to start. I'm leaving work earlier than I need to so I can go straight there, get dressed, and get in a good warm-up and stretch session before class, now that I know it's okay to use the extra studio (very large, tons of mirrors, barre against two walls). I can also practice those steps my new little friend taught me last Thursday (still working on those). Now for 3:30 to get here, c'mon, c'mon...

No comments:

Post a Comment