Sunday, December 17, 2017

Easy Flexibility

I’ve probably posted about this in the past, but I am still intrigued by the Easy Flexibility program. Even trying out a few of the exercises I can glean from the trailers feel really good, effective, and are different from anything else I’ve seen anywhere. What the instructor says about pliability vs. flexibility makes sense, too. (AND there is a course on relieving anterior pelvic tilt.)

One thing I’ve noticed when trying splits: they scare me and I am afraid of them. I’ve never been able to do them, and my body and mind actually fear getting too close to the ground. I forget the term for it, but it’s some sort of reflex. When I am in a splits position, the muscles I want most to be flexible are the very ones contracting and restricting me from doing it. I don’t know if that’s the totality of it, but I do know that sometimes my mind is able to just let go of a little bit of fear, and incredibly, I am immediately able to go deeper into my split.

I’m not saying my body absolutely can do any sort of split- I don’t know. I hope so. I’ve gotten kinda close. But I am saying that the more I am able to relax, the stretchier I become. Props help with this, too. If I can lower myself to a yoga block and make absolutely sure it’s steady, that frees up some upper body strength, allowing me to focus a little more.

I hope my last post didn’t come across as whiny or as my trying to be a know-it-all. I absolutely know that I can’t tell anything at all about a person and their ballet experience, including amount and time of training, based on a photo or even ten. It’s more about finding it within my own self to stop comparing myself to others, stop comparing my practice to others, and to focus on and ENJOY what I DO, what I have learned, and all the fun stuff I have to look forward to. No one is making me dance. I do it solely because I want to. Comparing myself to others takes the fun out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment