Monday, February 12, 2018

The Pointed Ankle & Foot

We are doing a lot more work on releve than I am used to, and watching my foot in the mirror or just by looking at it, and comparing it to those who can point better than I, has had me wondering about something. I know "doming" is important to pointe work, but how much? How much of the pointed foot stems from the ankle joints versus the rest of the foot and it's intrinsic muscles? (In other words, do I need to stretch the ankle more than I have been?)

Fear not, we have the world wide web to answer this for us!

This image and the following info was taken from this link. Good read!

The perpendicular line shows where the foot would be if it were flat. Coming counterclockwise, that next line, the dashed one, shows how much of the point is coming from the ankle joint alone. Which means that from the dashed line to the dotted line (all approximate) is how much of the total angle that comes from the foot muscles alone! Those arrows show the joints from which the rest of the pointing occurs.

And an interesting factoid from that article: see the three top bones in the photo? One is the shin (tibia), one is the top of the foot bone (talus), and the other the heel (calcaneus). When a ballerina's foot is fully pointed, those three muscles essentially "lock" together, forming a stable platform! I think that is SO cool- like the body (or some bodies) wants to dance like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment